Second post in the New Year, New Closet series:
Now that we’ve cleaned out our closets/dressers/shoe racks (if you haven’t yet – check out this post for more details on how to join in!), it is onto making sure that we have some foundation staples (you know, like we are building a house). To really bring a closet together, you need to unite your cool and unique pieces with some staples that work with almost everything else. That’s where this month’s series comes in. “New Year, New Closet” isn’t about just donating/selling/throwing out clothes, you also may get to put in some new and potentially exciting pieces in your freshly clean closet! Good work, you deserve it.
These are the pieces that are the “workhorse” of your closet. They can work with jeans and a tee (add a pop of leopard with the flats or a layer with the blazer) or top off a little black dress with the biggest and best statement necklace you have. These pieces provide the canvas for your style/personality to be painted on. I realize that not everyone has the classic style that I am working to achieve, but even these pieces can be made bohemian, girly, sporty, urban, etc.
Here are my picks for some closet staples while you are working to rebuild your closet and your wardrobe:
- black pants (perfect for work and can be made more casual with the right items)
- a sleeveless black dress (can also be worked as a skirt – this one is fit and flare style)
- jeans (you know you can never have enough pairs)
- leopard shoes (leopard is a neutral in my book)
- camel blazer (a closet workhorse, goes with EVERYTHING)
- striped shirt (I love stripes, and you should not be without stripes!)
- plain white button down (can wear over dresses, tucked in, tied up, unbuttoned, etc.)
Check out the options found above in the below widget (click on the item to get to the item). I can think of at least 10 outfits that you can make just using the above 7 items, and adding them to whatever else you already own can only continue to grow your outfit options. Stay tuned for the next installment of New Year, New Closet coming next week on adding some personality to your wardrobe.
Are there any other closet staples that you would add to the list above? Let me know in the comments!