UPDATED FINAL VERSION POSTED HERE
So starting September 15, things are going to look a little different around here, and this has been your warning! I’ve talked (here) about wanting to streamline my wardrobe and being inspired by Caroline’ blog, Unfancy, and general way of life. Well, I can talk all I want about being inspired, but I wanted to actually put my money where my mouth is…if you know what I’m saying!
Starting September 15 and ending on December 15 (or December 25, if I get crazy about it…because what’s another 9 outfits to post at that point?), I’m doing a capsule challenge and documenting it here. That’s roughly 64 outfits. More than doable, right? Please say right!
- Caroline limits her items to 37 pieces. I work for a large corporation and need to have some more pieces for work wear. I’m trying a 44-piece collection this time, and those extra 7 pieces seem fair. Who knows what I will be saying in two months though?
- I didn’t throw out or clean out my closet before doing this (time crunch), but I plan to during the next few months as this is going on. So nothing is gone, gone yet.
- I purchased around 7 new items to help with this collection. They will be a part of my September budget.
- I won’t be able to shop for clothes or shoes during this time frame (because I can’t wear them until Christmas anyways) but will still be able to add any “ultimate need to have jewelry, purses, belts, any other accessory and outerwear – welcome to unpredictable Indiana). So there will still be monthly budget posts…never fear. Any money that I save from my budget during this time….is going towards a new lens for the camera…I think. So I’m still trying to be mindful of my spending. Hah!
- Outerwear (coats, vests, snow boots, etc.), lounge clothes, workout wear, special occasion wear will not count towards my capsule items.
- Yes, there will still be one item from Target per day, and yes, most of my pieces will be affordable and practical and still fun. I’m hoping this capsule collection keeps the styling process enjoyable, but not overwhelming (as it can sometimes be).
I’m also going to try to link up with the lovely Anne of In Residence who is doing a fun linkup with everyone who is attempting to do the same sort of thing. You should join too…that way I have someone to
whine talk to when I want to wear my non-capsule items.
It was surprisingly easy to pull together this list. (1. I brainstormed almost 90% of this on the plane ride to and from Hawaii, so it’s clear I know my closet well. Priorities. and 2. I have WAY too many clothes.)
So let’s see what I’m going to be working with, shall we? (UPDATED as of 9/12).
- White Sleeveless Blouse (exact)
- Gingham Button Down (exact)
- Red Plaid Button Down (exact)
- Swan Print Button Down (exact)
- Chambray Button Down (exact)
- Black and White Stripe 3/4 Tee (almost exact, mine is just last year’s version)
- Red and Navy Stripe 3/4 Tee (exact)
- Black 3/4 Tee (exact)
- Baseball Tee (exact)
- Graphic Tee (similar option…haven’t decided mine yet)
- Gray Leopard Sweatshirt (exact...sssh, don’t tell anyone, but it is supposedly sleepwear!)
- Red Sweater with Built In Collar (similar, mine is from Ann Taylor last winter)
- White Sweater with Lace Detail (exact)
- Gray Sweater (similar, mine is from Old Navy last year)
- Animal Graphic Sweater (exact)
- Tan Crew Neck Sweater (exact)
- Graphic Print Crew Neck Sweater (exact)
- To Be Determined
- Navy Blazer (similar, mine is also Target from Fall 2013)
- Tan Blazer (similar, mine is also Target from Fall 2013)
- Black Blazer (similar, mine is also Target from Fall 2013)
- Skinny Jeans (exact)
- Gray Moto Jeans (exact)
- Black Jeans (exact)
- Olive Green Pants (exact)
- Red Dress (exact)
- Navy Dress (exact)
- Stripe Dress 1 (similar, mine is Target from this year)
- Stripe Dress 2 (exact)
- Black Faux Leather Skirt (super similar, mine is Ann Taylor from last year)
- Tan Skirt (similar, mine is Loft from last year)
- Black and White Stripe Skirt (exact)
- Leopard Print Skirt (similar, mine is Target from a few years back)
- Plaid Skirt (exact)
- Leopard Flats (similar, mine are Target from last year)
- Gray Loafers (exact)
- Red Heels (similar, mine are Target from last year)
- Tan Oxfords (similar, mine are Target from years ago)
- Black Tassel Flats (exact)
- Black Heels (exact)
- Black Ankle Boots (similar, mine are Target from last year, but I love the look of these)
- Leopard Ankle Boots (similar, mine are Target from last year…I hate all my tan ones right now and really want this pair from Loft)
- Black Knee High Riding Boots (similar)
- Brown Knee High Riding Boots (similar)
Anyone else joining me in the fun? I’d love to check out your capsule, so let me know! And may the odds be ever in my favor to complete this? I think I can, I think I can.
**All items subject to change from this point on until Sept. 15. Because I’m a sucker for punishment.