Welcome to 2017, friends…where the points are made up, but the budget still counts! Spoiler alert. I am OBSESSED with every. single. item. that I purchased this month, and know that they will be pieces that I wear for many seasons to come!
Check out January’s budget below to see the damage:
January 2017 Budget
+ Loft Floral Bouquet Sweater (here)
+ J.Crew Gray Sweater Blazer (here)
+ Loft Cherry Print Fit-and-Flare Dress (here…so warm and cozy!)
+ J.Crew Navy Puffer Coat (here…so warm!)
+ J.Crew Red Crossbody Purse (here)
+ Salvatore Ferragamo Black Patent Vara Pumps (thrifted for way less, but original version here)
+ Madewell Yellow Polka Dot Neck Scarf (here)
+ J.Crew Navy/Green Stripe Pom Scarf (here…free because they sent me the wrong color!)
So this “five piece” budget that I piloted (so corporate-business-speak of me) in November and December was perfect for what I needed at this point in my life/style journey that I’m going to continue it into 2017. Just a reminder, thrifted items do not count towards the budget and accessories (that aren’t shoes or purses) also don’t count.
This month I want to try bullet point summaries of each item, because I think they each deserve a short little write up…so here. we. go!
- This Loft bouquet sweater might be the prettiest sweater I have ever seen. The flowers are all thickly embroidered on and the colors are vivid and beautiful. Also, who expected me to not purchase the navy and red sweater? It is practically sold out online, so check back often or call your local store to see if they have one in your size. I sized up from my regular medium to a large, because the arms were TIGHT….so just a warning there.
- This J.Crew sweater-blazer-thing-a-majig may not look like much and may have also cost me a pretty penny, but I never want to take it off. Like ever. It is super quality (like old-school J.Crew) and fitted to perfection (as long as you size down one size). Warning though, it is another one that is selling out quickly, so read the reviews online (here) if you don’t believe me and order now!
- The Loft cherry print dress was scored on super clearance…I think I paid $10 for it? It is the perfect vintage pattern, and I love a good fit-and-flare dress that can be worn at work and during the summer with a jean jacket. I wore it to work once already with a white button down shirt underneath it…and the compliments would not stop coming.
- This J.Crew navy puffer coat. I don’t normally count outerwear in my budget, but I already bought my one coat for the 2016-2017 winter season. However, this one was an absolute keeper, because 1.) It’s navy. 2.) You can belt it so you don’t look like a marshmallow. 3.) It is so warm and has the best best best features (fleece-lined pockets, anyone). 4.) I scored it for a great deal during an extra 50% off sale online. Buy it if you’re looking for a great winter weather coat!
- And lastly, but not leastly, my new favorite J.Crew red crossbody purse! It is a gorgeous red leather with a fun blue tag accent, and it’s the perfect size for me. I do not mind at all that I spent 10-15 minutes looking for coupon codes online to lower the cost of it it to $80. Well worth it!
Things That Didn’t End Up Working
+ This J.Crew oxford check skirt – love the print obviously, but way, way, WAY too short. I knew it would be…and still placed the order!
+ This Loft tulip lace top in navy – Gorgeous and high quality, but I ordered a medium and it was GIGANTIC. Definitely need a smaller size…and might even have to go two sizes down.
Again, I honestly have no idea what I want to add to my closet in February, but man…some of those new spring arrivals are calling my name (and some of them are definitely not…no more bell sleeves, please)!
I need some new work pants, but I don’t plan on counting those towards my budget because that’s boring! And I did already order the tan J.Crew Regent Blazer (here) on super sale with the coupon code of “GETSHOPPING” and some credits that I had. Fingers crossed that I love it, and then I’ll count it towards next month!