Obsession doesn’t even begin to cover how I feel about this new black/white grid print shirt dress from Merona’s fall line (comes in other patterns too). I keep choosing to wear it over nearly almost everything else in my closet (you’ll see it again next Tuesday on this blog)!
The shape of this dress is obviously timeless and works for work and play. And the pattern itself is so classic and allows for maximum remixing capabilities, since it can work with nearly any color.
I kept it classic this time around with a denim jacket and some black sneakers that the lovely Anne peer pressured me into buying right before Europe due to this post (thanks Anne!). I had to wear them around a bit before heading out of the country (you know, to make sure they were comfy and such), and I already love them!
Nothing beats classic, comfy style!
Today’s fun highlights:
- Sometimes you just need the world’s simplest outfit on a hot summer day. Like today’s look.
- And sometimes that hot summer sun positions itself just on the edge of your outfit photos, so everything looks magical. #thankssun
- Am I the only one the feels like summer is FLYING by? Like how are we in the month of July and how did I get here?
- This weekend we are heading up to my bestie B’s family lakehouse. I am so excited to go on long walks, enjoy a boat ride or two, swim in the lake, and probably eat too many s’moreos (that’s s’mores Oreos for those of you not in the know…)
- And because of all the sad events recently in the United States (and really, the world in general), there’s really no good words to encompass what been on mind (and I’m sure all of our minds) lately. But I thought it might be nice to end this post with a simple quote before I launch into the weekend sales. Take it or leave it, whatever you like…I adore you all, and let’s try to add more love and light to the world!
- “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Happy weekend, friends! What are you up to?
“Mawage. Mawage is wot bwings us togeder tooday.”
20 cool points if you can name the movie that quote comes from (hint, it is my FAVORITE movie ever)…
Ahhhh summer, the season for endless marriage (or mawage) ceremonies and wedding invites! It seems every summer for the past few years, our calendar has been full of summertime weddings. This year, we just had one summer wedding to attend, and this is EXACTLY what I wore.
I find it SO challenging to find appropriate wedding attire….is anyone else in this boat. I don’t want to look like I just rolled out of bed and looking like a schmuck, but I also don’t want to be wearing a ballgown and looking like I’m trying to upstage the bride.
Plus, I feel like any more (at least in the Midwest), no one is putting down what the expected wedding attire is.
Is this beach formal? Black tie? White tie? Dressy casual?*
So my simple advice for what to wear to a wedding in the summer? Stick to a solid colored (but not white…duh) or simply patterned dress (stripes, gingham, florals, polka dots…mine are flowers that look like polka dots!) paired with one basic accessory (my thin black belt) and one statement accessory (like a statement necklace or bold earrings or a quirky clutch).
And don’t forget to wear heels or flats that you can walk AND dance in. Because what’s a wedding without campy dances?
Oh, and delicious cake. Don’t forget the cake.
*If you have no idea what I’m talking about…The Knot has you covered here.
You all seemed to enjoy my first Style Soulmates post (here if you missed it), so I’m making it a monthly feature! Lord knows that I have enough pretty pins on Pinterest (follow me here) to keep it going for approximately 50 years, so let’s put those pins to good use, huh? ;)
Today’s look was inspired by this look by Daphne from Mode and the City (here). She’s probably my favorite blogger ever (all the red and blue combos definitely help her campaign), and she has the world’s second cutest dog (mine wins because the judge is biased).
Daphne’s layering skills come fall/winter are absolutely amazing, but this summer look was a bit simpler for her, which is probably why it was so easy for me to recreate it! A basic white blouse, denim jacket, and polka dot shorts is really all you need to recreate this look, and then you just add in your favorite accessories based on your own personal style preferences!
These polka dots shorts are probably my favs to wear all summer because they’re light and flowy, so any outfit inspiration that gets them on my body is a win for me. But imagine if I had a similar pair in navy and red polka dot shorts…I’d never wear anything else! So thanks for making a casual summer outfit super easy, Daphne, by letting me steal this look (now if you could just send me your whole wardrobe…that would be great)!