Ten Things I’ve Loved This Past Week on The Internet:
- Gingham is slowly becoming my favorite print (I ordered this dress during the Fourth of July sales), and now I’m wondering if I need this top too!? Or these wedges?
- Blogger love of the week: Loving this summer-y leaf/palm print dress on Jessica! Such a perfect look for summer, and now I’m wanting the dress for myself (get it here – how great would it be with a white blazer for work?)!
- I ordered this lemon print skirt from The Limited pretty much as soon as it hit the website last week! So fun and summery!
- 17 fun facts about the movie The Devil Wears Prada that you probably haven’t heard before! Hard to believe the movie turns 10 this year!
- If only I had somewhere to wear this beautiful lace dress…and you know, if it was on sale!
- Need to get me some bermuda shorts (maybe these?), and then you can find me in this casual outfit for the rest of summer!
- I love color and how it is used in branding, etc., so it was only natural that I be drawn to this article about color in iconic movie scenes…what a cool design project!
- I know, I know…it is way too hot…and WAY too summer right now to think about sweaters, but this wrap cardigan (in six different colors) just dropped, and I think I need it!
- The top 50 burgers in America (one for each state)! Did your favorite place make the cut for your state? I haven’t had the Indiana one, but it’s in Indianapolis, so apparently, I need to check it out!
- This is the outfit that I’ve been living in all summer…and need to make sure to shoot for the blog some day! Sneakers and denim jackets for life, and if you’re in need of a good white tee to complete this look? Might I recommend this one (here)!
- On Target item: Merona Black/White Patterned Blouse (exact)
- Lip Color: Covergirl (exact – in Soda)
- Blazer: The Limited (exact)
- Watch: Merona, Target (exact)
- Nail Polish: “Scarlet Starlet” (exact)
- Purse: vintage Coach (similar)
- Skirt: Old Navy (similar)
- Heels: Merona, Target (similar)
This chambray shirt is going to save my summer.
Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know that sounds like I’m exaggerating…which I’ve been known to do from time-to-time, but I’m like 90% serious this time. Just make sure you believe me all the other times too, though! ;)
I’ve worn it with everything (with skirts, jeans, and shorts and even over dresses!), and it is proving to be the ultimate workhorse…just like its sibling, the long sleeved chambray shirt! It’s so easy that it is almost cheating…and all my other tops and blouses are getting jealous.
Don’t worry folks, there’s plenty of me to go around…for a majority of the seasons! ;) But for now, it’s an all day chambray kind of summer!
You all seemed to enjoy my first Style Soulmates post (here if you missed it), so I’m making it a monthly feature! Lord knows that I have enough pretty pins on Pinterest (follow me here) to keep it going for approximately 50 years, so let’s put those pins to good use, huh? ;)
Today’s look was inspired by this look by Daphne from Mode and the City (here). She’s probably my favorite blogger ever (all the red and blue combos definitely help her campaign), and she has the world’s second cutest dog (mine wins because the judge is biased).
Daphne’s layering skills come fall/winter are absolutely amazing, but this summer look was a bit simpler for her, which is probably why it was so easy for me to recreate it! A basic white blouse, denim jacket, and polka dot shorts is really all you need to recreate this look, and then you just add in your favorite accessories based on your own personal style preferences!
These polka dots shorts are probably my favs to wear all summer because they’re light and flowy, so any outfit inspiration that gets them on my body is a win for me. But imagine if I had a similar pair in navy and red polka dot shorts…I’d never wear anything else! So thanks for making a casual summer outfit super easy, Daphne, by letting me steal this look (now if you could just send me your whole wardrobe…that would be great)!
Ten Things I’ve Loved This Past Week on The Internet:
- This blue/white blazer is the perfect edition to anyone’s work wardrobe, and it would easily transition to weekends too!
- Blogger love of the week: It’s a little bit colder in Canada, so I’m saving one of Adina’s latest looks to wear come fall! Stripes + scarves + utility vests? Count me in!
- You know those floppy hats with cutesy sayings written on them that are super popular right now? I found one for under $30! Score!
- Five items that will make your wardrobe feel brand new…I actually would like ALL of these pieces to magically find a home in my closet, right now!
- Obsessing over both prints on this midi skirt that is under $50!
- I love J.Crew, you love J.Crew…so here’s everything you need from them this summer…and they’re all under $100!
- When all is not right in the world and things are getting you down, just enjoy these 21 purely simple, but happy things!
- Love love love this affordable stripe tee dress! So good that I can try to order it in every color option! ;)
- Chrissy Teigen is my new favorite celeb…my brother got me her cookbook for my birthday, and I’m sure everything in there is delicious (making my first recipe from it tomorrow), but nothing compares to this Instagram photo (here). It is my new favorite thing.
- My favorite Merona sandals (that I’ve been wearing up and down this blog recently) are on sale for only $19 this week, so you better snag them up! They come in three colors…and I might own them all now! ;)
ps. I shopped my own closet for these white jeans…I had bought them last year at the end of the season, and while they aren’t a perfect PERFECT fit, they’ll do for all the white jean outfits I want to wear right now!
pps. Any takers on how long I can keep them this white? Three months? Two weeks? One day? ;)
Or alternatively titled, “Russian Grandma Goes to Work.”* ;)
I personally think summer is the WORST season to dress for when it comes to work outfits. Outside of work, you can throw on shorts or a skirt with a t-shirt or a tank top or even easier, a sundress, and be good to go. But for work, you have to maintain some sort of professionalism (read no bare shoulders, no flip flops, no shorts, etc.).
And on top of all of that, I find that’s hard to dress when it is so hot outside, but the air conditioning is on full blast in the office!
So to combat all these issues, I keep it simple. A breezy blouse, a solid color flare skirt, a neutral shade of heeled sandals, and a summer scarf. It’s easy remixable (for example, trade out the black pieces for navy or bring another pop of color in with a bright colored blouse), and when you’re leaving the arctic chill of your office, just take the scarf off!
Hopefully, I’ll have some more summer work outfit combinations for you later this summer, but just know that this is the one I default to the most! Summer scarves for the win!
*No offense to those of you who actually have Russian grandmas. I’m sure they dress lovely and are wonderful people!