While I mainly prefer separate pieces to dresses (more mix and match capabilities), I certainly have found some dresses this summer that I love and continue to wear over and over again.
And while I think this may be the first time that this dress has made an appearance on the blog, it definitely was not the first time I had worn it! This pretty, gingham number is from the Maison Jules line at Macy’s and is the perfect gingham print. The Maison Jules line always tends to run short on me, but not this dress. It’s the perfect length for work (styled above) or for play with sandals/wedges and a denim jacket (or no jacket if it continues to be 90+ where you live too)!
While I don’t know how often I’ll be able to wear it in fall and winter, I am going to try to squeeze as many wears in as I possible can between now and then. Since everything is better in gingham…and in a belt that knots itself!
ps. If you buy this dress, it can always double as a Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz costume for Halloween. You’re welcome…and I’m over 2.5 months early! ;)
Today’s fun highlights:
- Working for the weekend! Why is the first week back from a vacation always so looooooonnnnggg?!
- The weather here has been up and down so some days call for a light jacket…and other days call for a sleeveless dress. Thanks, Indiana!
- And yes, I just now realized that I left a zipper tissue paper protector on one of my coat zippers. Bonus points if you can find it, but extra EXTRA bonus points if you ignore it! ;)
- This weekend, The Husband and I are tackling some much needed, boring activities (read: oil changes, weeding, etc.). It’s probably going to be boring, but at least we’ll get the feeling of accomplishment? (I’m trying to pump myself up, folks…work with me here)!
- And tonight, we’re making pancakes, so you can’t really beat breakfast for dinner…on a Friday!
Happy weekend, friends! What are you up to?
I actually styled this look on a whim because I needed a jacket to wear into work, since it was chilly in the morning. A good leather jacket is a lifesaver, and this flowy gingham skirt is proving to be a staple in my closet. But together?
It’s end-of-the-movie Sandy from Grease meets Dorothy from Wizard of Oz.
And I love it!
A little girly and a little leather never hurt anyone, right?
I got this skirt in the mail last week, and I could barely wait two seconds before wearing out. That’s a true sign for me that I love a clothing item! It also comes in a navy floral pattern annnnnnnnnd, drumroll, please, the most perfect navy/white polka dot print! So you better believe that I ordered them all! The navy floral print is a bit too busy for my taste, but you better believe the polka dot and the gingham found a permanent home in my closet!
But back to today’s outfit…pretty much what you would imagine that Dorothy from Wizard of Oz would wear to work, right? Because you know after she got home safely from Oz (spoiler alert…77 years later), she grew up and had to go to work like the rest of us!
And because red glitter heels create a mess in the breakroom, Dorothy was asked to trade in her red ruby slippers for navy patent pumps.
There’s no place like home, huh, Dorothy? I certainly feel you, especially on Mondays! ;)
Ten Things I’ve Loved This Past Week on The Internet:
- Gingham trench coat? On sale? Say what?
- Blogger love of the week: I love seeing people give back, so I loved reading about how Jess shared some of her time (and styling tips, I’m sure!) with this Chicago-based organization that works to provide free clothing and self-esteem to girls enrolled in Chicago’s inner city schools. You go, Jess!
- Loft sold a similar pair of these beautiful stripe espadrilles last season, and they sold out so fast! They’re one of my favorite spring/summer shoes, so get them while they’re still in stock!
- I could not stop laughing at this Buzzfeed article called “me as a wife.” Mainly because I could related to nearly 100% of them, but oh my gosh. The last one (#19) is me to a T. I pride myself on my annoying capabilities.
- Do you guys ever watch those HGTV or TLC shows where they buy these terrible houses and then turn them into masterpieces. I’ve ALWAYS wanted to do that (and have no skills whatsoever in that department) and wondered exactly how much work goes into it. Anyone else? Luckily for us, Cassandra is spilling the beans (here) on The Everygirl!
- I need to try on this dress on the next time I’m at Target to see if it would be long enough. If it works, it would look equally great under blazers for the office and jean jackets for the weekend!
- A new episode of Miss Adventure from Kate Spade is out! I need to plan a girls’ weekend like this…and accessorize the entire time with Kate Spade! ;) Anyone else in?
- I’m loving how classic, but different than every-other-navy-blazer-ever, this blazer from Maison Jules is (here). I know that didn’t make ANY sense, but you should check it out if you like nautical/prep style and/or need a navy blazer! ;)
- Pantone (everyone’s favorite color obsessor) has put together a list of the top 10 colors for spring 2016. I know, I know…everyone is so surprised that I’ll be wearing Snorkel Blue and Fiesta all spring…and really, all year, long!
- Everyone has been obsessed with the J.Crew Gemma ballet flats this season (see them here), and they’re a bit pricey, so I found a great dupe for under $40 here! They come in lots of colors and one pretty floral print!